Paper is becoming more and more important on the packaging industry as environmental friendly packaging is one of the levers that is taking more attention on industrial strategic plans. The crossover point between paper and board is normally considered to be around 160 to 200 grams per square meter (gsm). With a paper or board coating process, you achieve to have a product with specific features and benefits such as:
- A better surface and/or improved visual appearance.
- A glossy finishes that add interest to the package.
- A barrier for water to reduce moisture.
With an adhesive coating and laminating process with other material/s (other paper, solid board, film or aluminium foil) to sum different physical properties, the main features and benefits would be:
- More resistance (weight, moisture…) to the package.
- To have a release property by coating the paper with silicone. With these processes, you can have a great variety of pressure sensitive adhesive tapes or laminates used in the medical field or in industrial applications.
- Enhanced appearance.
- Food contact and preservation (barriers against moisture as well as oil and grease migrations…).
Besides coating, our lines can be equipped with other in-line processes such as embossing, printing, perforation, etc.
Paper and cardboard coating line processes
At ILAMCO, we have developed important engineering and process know-how in paper and cardboards coating and manufacture customized lines adapted to specific requirements.
- Single or turret with flying splice at max. production speed.
- Shaftless (mostly used) or shafted.
- Roll diameters up to 1600 mm.
- Perfect winding accuracy according to material thickness.
- Flying splicing systems for automatic turret unwinders and rewinder.
- Programmable tensions adapted to specific materials and web path.
- Embossing with customized patterns.
- Vacuum rollers or belts.
- Perforation: mechanical or laser.
- Primer on one or both sides of the web.
- Corona treatment.
- Specific tension control in multiple points of the web path (with tension handling elements such as dancer rolls or additional nips for tension isolation of line sections).
- Multiple coating materials depending on desired properties:
- Different kind of adhesives including for example: hot melt, PBA or any other thermoplastic adhesive as a tie layer…
- Totally recyclable synthetic-based coatings with hydrophobic properties.
- Primers for lamination and printing.
- Paraffin, wax…
- Coating widths of a few millimeters up to 2200mm.
- Coating weights of 0.1 g/m² to 100 g/m².
- Coating media with a wide range of viscosities and different solvents:
- Water based
- Solvent based
- Solid 100% (hotmelt).
- Coating speeds of 0.1 m/min to 400 m/min.
- Pre or self-metered coating methods.
- Coating systems:
- Mayer bar.
- Roll over roll.
- Kiss coating.
- Direct gravure.
- Offset roll.
- Slot die.
- Comma bar.
- Others variations.
- Flotation dryers (also called air suspension):
- Non-contact and sinusoidal web guiding.
- Special nozzles design ensure efficient energy transfer from both sides.
- Roller dryer:
- Driven or not driven guide rollers.
- Laminar air flow.
- High speed air nozzles.
- Water or solvent based coatings.
- Independent and sectorized regulation for air speed, temperature and recirculation in each drying hood and section to optimize drying performance and energy consumption.
- IR/UVI hood systems.
Do you want more information on paper and cardboards coating lines?
We are able to understand your company and industry requirements and adapt our solutions to help your business innovate in process or product to achieve differential strategic advantages.Contact us