Paper and cardboard laminating lines
Paper and cardboard lamination: a key converting process as paper is becoming more and more important on the packaging industry as environmental friendly packaging is one of the levers that is taking more attention on industrial strategic plans.View Business CaseContact us for more information
Papers boards and natural fiber based materials have their limitations in terms of aspect and performance, but once laminated they can outperform other materials such as plastic or foams. Currently laminates are used for packaging, graphics arts, labels (with papers) and a range of other industrial applications, but more and more new laminating techniques and new materials and combinations are increasing its applications to frontiers never imagined before.
With an adhesive coating and laminating process with other material/s (other papers and boards, film or aluminium foil) to sum different visual and/or physical properties, the main features and benefits would be:
- More resistance (weight, moisture…) to the package.
- To have a release property by coating the paper with silicone. With these processes, you can have a great variety of pressure sensitive adhesive tapes or laminates used in the medical field or in industrial applications.
- Enhanced appearance: metalized paper or films…
- Food contact and preservation.
Besides laminating, our lines can be equipped with other coating process or in-line processes such as embossing, printing, perforation, etc.
Paper and cardboard laminating lines processes
At ILAMCO, we have developed important engineering and process know-how in paper and boards coating and lamination and manufacture customized lines adapted to specific requirements.
- Single or turret with flying splice at maximum production speed.
- Shaftless (mostly used) or shafted.
- Roll diameters up to 1600 mm.
- Perfect winding accuracy according to material thickness.
- Flying splicing systems for automatic turret unwinders and rewinder.
- Programmable tensions adapted to specific materials and web path.
- Embossing with customized patterns:
- Steel/steel rollers.
- Rubber for foil aluminium applications.
- Vacuum rollers or belts.
- Primer on one or both sides of the web.
- Corona treatment.
- Specific tension control in multiple points of the web path (with tension handling elements such as dancer rolls or additional nips for tension isolation of line sections).
- Multiple coating materials depending on desired properties:
- Different kind of adhesives including for example: hot melt, PBA or any other thermoplastic adhesive as a tie layer.
- Primers for lamination and printing.
- Coating widths of a few millimeters up to 2200 mm.
- Coating weights of 0.5 g/m² to 50 g/m².
- Coating media with a wide range of viscosities and different solvents:
- Water based.
- Solvent based.
- Solid 100% (hotmelt).
- Coating speeds of 0.1 m/min to 400 m/min.
- Pre or self-metered coating methods.
- Coating systems:
- Mayer bar.
- Roll over roll.
- Kiss coating.
- Direct gravure.
- Offset roll.
- Slot die.
- Comma bar.
- Others variations.
- Wet or dry laminating.
- Single and multiple layer laminations for many applications (packaging, construction…).
- Flotation dryers (also called air suspension)
- Non-contact and sinusoidal web guiding.
- Special nozzles design ensure efficient energy transfer from both sides.
- Roller dryer
- Driven or not driven guide rollers.
- Laminar air flow.
- High speed air nozzles.
- Water or solvent based coatings.
- Independent and sectorized regulation for air speed, temperature and recirculation in each drying hood and section to optimize drying performance and energy consumption.
- IR/UVI hood systems.
- High gloss motorized and temperature regulated calanders.
- Pressure and adjustable gap system to ensure perfect result and material differential handling depending on thickness, substrates and contact angles.
Do you want more information on paper and cardboard laminating lines?
We are able to understand your company and industry requirements and adapt our solutions to help your business innovate in process or product to achieve differential strategic advantages.Contact us